Anal sex can be a fun, exciting, and new experience for most people. However, it can also be a scary and painful one if done improperly or without care. The mouth produces saliva and the vagina produces its own natural lubricant. The anus on the other hand has no natural lubrication and absolutely must be properly lubed up before it has anything inserted into it. Here are our list of the best anal lubes and a few helpful tips to keep in mind when having anal sex.
1. Astroglide Anal Lube
It has a wonderful silky smooth texture and feels very pleasing on the skin. Furthermore, despite the fact that it is water based, it lasts surprisingly long. This also makes it perfect if you plan on adding any silicone based toys to the mix. Even using a small amount of lubricant should last you the duration of an anal sex session. It also has a few other unique and interesting properties. It’s actually a really great moisturizer, applied by a penis or toy it gets all those hard to reach spots!
Overall this is a great product with a lot of potential.
2. Swiss Navy Pers Anal Lube
All kidding aside this really is a quality product. It’s silicone based, long lasting, non-absorbable, and completely scent free.
Crafted with the highest medical grade silicone, this is a safe and easy to use. Overall this is another really good anal lube and likely the best silicone based one on the list. Check it out.
3. Lush Personal Anal Lube
Lush is a big name brand with a big name product. This silicone based personal lubricant is a great contender for one of the top quality lubes out there. Despite being silicone it has been tested to work well with latex and polyurethane condoms. We also really love the shape of the container.
Even though it is silicone based it is relatively thin and has a pleasing and natural texture. Great when going in the backdoor if you know what I mean.
Another quality product that you really can’t go wrong with.
4. Astroglide X Anal Lube
Another addition to your potential arsenal coming Astroglide. This is from their silicone product line. We’ve found that while it’s still a commendable choice, their water based is just simply better.
It is also latex safe and non-irritating. It is completely safe to be used with condoms and anything but silicone toys.
Very similar to the other Astroglide except for the base of the product. A good pickup if you need a high quality silicone lubricant that will last throughout an entire sex session.
5. Fox Envy Sensitive Anal Lube
We even ended up spilling half the bottle on our mattress. It quickly and easily washed right out without leaving any noticeable stain. No hint of a fragrance either. This is really important for us as cleaning up right after an intense love making session is the last thing on our minds. I’m certain it’s the same for most people.
The formula is very delicate and is a product we recommend for regular use. Especially great for beginers who made need extra lubricant or aren’t positive how their body will react to the formula.
Water Based vs. Silicone Based vs. Oil Based
With so many different options it can be daunting to make a choice. Firstly, I’d like to eliminate oil(petroleum) based lubricants immediately. They are typically made from jelly or coconut and don’t work very well. On top of not working well they also increase the odds of infection and health risks. Furthermore they absolutely cannot be used in conjunction with latex condoms. Within a minute of becoming in contact with the condoms they can cause a 90% decrease in the latex strength.
Okay, so we have narrowed it down to two. They both have admirable qualities as well as a few issues.
Let’s begin with water based lubes. They are extremely fabric and toy friendly. Unlike other lubricants, the gel is light and thin allowing it to quickly and easily dry or wash away. Easy cleanup is a huge plus. Furthermore water is less likely to get everywhere leaving surfaces or your skin feeling slick. Water based is also the best to use in-conjunction with condoms. While silicone is known to be safe too, water shows zero signs of causing degradation of the latex. Finally we get the what is arguably the most important reason to go with a water based lubricant, oral. If you plan on switching to oral during sex then water is better. It has a much similar consistency to human saliva. Furthermore, they are also the best flavored lube. You can get all kinds of fun and interesting flavors from mint, to chocolate, to cake, and more!
However, it still has its downsides. Water based lubes don’t last very long. They will need to reapplied every 5-10 minutes and you need to use a lot. For most activities it’s a great product that will only heighten enjoyment.
Silicone based lubricants work phenomenally. It has incredible staying power, making it ideal for those long and intense lovemaking sessions. You really don’t need much of the stuff to get a nice and friction-free glide going. It’s hypoallergenic and very delicate, some people describe it as soothing to the skin. If you plan on a good and intense anal session, than our recommendation is silicone.
Similar to water it also has a few downsides. It can ruin any toys you use it with. While silicone is fine on skin it does not play well with other surfaces. Not only can you toys be ruined but also sheets, clothing, carpets, or mattresses will be easily stained. Also when it comes to oral sex silicone is not great. It has a gooey and strange texture that will likely feel gross in a mouth.
Id also like to note that we get many questions asking “What is the best anal lube for women?”. There is no gender distinction between men and women’s lubricants. They are all the same.
The Different Types Of Lubricants
There are many different types of lubes that you should be aware of. They have some fun and interesting extra functions.
- Flavored lubes – Pretty self explanatory. There are many flavors to choose from and can make the smell and taste more pleasant.
- Warming lubes – A Fan favorite and it’s easy to understand why. They gently warm up the area which can increase pleasure.
- Cooling/mint lubes – These are a personal favorite. It asks another degree of pleasure that drives most people wild when used while having sex or masturbating. It’s safe to use on or in a vagina, penis, mouth, or anus.
- Desensitizing lubes – Mainly used by men who orgasm too quickly leaving them unable to satisfy their partner. We suggest not using them as it makes sex into a zero sum game. Instead work on lasting longer in bed and step up your foreplay and oral game.
Here Are A Few Helpful Tips To Remember
- Use more lubricant than you think you’ll need!
- Please go slow unless otherwise stated.
- Don’t enter or exit too quickly. The head of the penis is often larger or more ridged than the shaft.
- Listen very carefully to your partners suggestions or comments.
- Shit happens. Don’t shame your partner for it.
- Use more lubricant than you think you’ll need!
- Stay calm and relaxed. Anxiety will cause your body to tighten your anus and could cause discomfort. The first time is always the most daunting and it will get easier mentally with each additional encounter.
- Find a position your comfortable with and where you will have more control over depth and speed.
- Shit happens. Don’t be surprised if some feces ends up on you, the sheets, or your partners penis. Prepare for it and understand that it is a realistic possibility. Don’t be ashamed.
- If you can, time the sex with a couple of hours after emptying your bowels. This will decrease the chance of any excrement coming out. If you’re really worried about it you can also get an at home anal douching or enema.
What Could Go Wrong?
There are a few things that could go wrong. If they happen don’t panic. The worst thing you can do is panic. Just relax and try to laugh at the wonders of the human body.
- You could shit on the dick or toy. It happens, it’s natural, and it can be easily fixed. Keep some paper towels close by and maybe some wet wipes. Just quickly clean it up and continue on enjoying yourself.
- Anal sex and pain is often talked about. In most cases this can be avoided by liberally using the best anal lube and starting with a bit of foreplay. However, it still can happen. If it does continue stopping altogether. You can always come back to anal sex. You could even start with fingers or a small toy until you get used to the feeling and can relax.
- If things get a little rough(consensually) there is a small possibility that an anal tear or fissure could occur. They can be a little painful but most of the time will heal within a few days. Of course if bleeding or pain is severe or persistent you should consult a physician.
Why Have Anal Sex At All?
You may be asking yourself why anyone would want to have anal sex at all? Well the long answer is complicated and varies from person to person. The simple answer however is that it can feel very good for both people when done correctly. Try and experience new things and you may discover something about yourself that you never knew.
Anal sex can be a wonderful, enjoyable, and exciting experience. The key is patience, the best anal lube, and communicating with your partner. Don’t be afraid, you may find something that you and others will be able to enjoy greatly.
Please feel free to leave any comments, questions, or concerns you may have below. We try to respond as quickly as possible.
I’m just a girl who wants everyone to have many long and pleasurable orgasms. I know it may seem strange but I’m just trying to make the world a little happier in the best way I know how. I sincerely hope you enjoy yourself!